Thursday, June 17, 2010

UK Artists Do A Madonna JD Set!

Tennessee whiskey brand Jack Daniel's will be making music history and bringing a ray of light to Glasgow when artists such as Silver Columns, Malcolm Middleton, James Yuill, thecocknbullkid and Casiokids join forces for an incredible JD Set that promises to deliver an unforgettable reworking of Madonna’s finest musical moments.

The artists - all signed by London-based independent record label Moshi Moshi Records - will master their collaborations during a week of intensive studio sessions, to create new versions of tracks such as Vogue, Borderline, Like a Prayer, Into the Groove, Stay, Over and Over, Frozen, Dress you up, Open Your Heart, Holiday and La Isla Bonita.

Here are some of the comments by the label and the artists performing…

Moshi Moshi Records: Madonna was not a name we expected to see, but the more we thought about it, the more we realised how perfect she was for this. She has such a long career and diverse catalogue of songs there was something that spoke to everyone in there. Everyone had their favourite song or era and the more we talked about it, the more excited we became.

Cocknbullkid: I think it’s a really cool concept. It’s one of the first things I was asked to do for this year and I’m really excited to be a part of it. We settled on Madonna. I think there were suggestions for Prince, Bowie, Roxy Music. The guys get to unleash their feminine side with Madonna, and I get to wear a conical bra! I am really looking forward to reinterpreting some of Madonna’s most seminal pop songs with the rest of the Moshi Moshi crew. I hope we do it justice.

James Yuill: I’m covering Power of GoodBye, I don’t know why, but I love it… I even bought it on single when it came out. Very tempted to do Open Your Heart in an underworld style. Not sure if anyone else wants to do that though… I guess when we meet we’ll have a better idea about who should play what.

Malcolm Middleton: I’m not 100% sure yet, but I’ll probably latch onto the Silver Columns doing “Into The Groove”, and possibly do “Stay” myself. I’ve covered this before, but I think there’s a lot more that can be done with this song, and it’d be good to see what the other folk can add to it.
They are playing live tonight (June 17th) at the O2 ABC venue, in Glasgow - bringing Madonna’s music to an amazingly intimate venue.

You can watch videos of their rehearsals on the JD website, HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment