Tuesday, September 9, 2014

MADONNA, MEET MADISON – YOUR NEW PHOTOGRAPHER




I see a lot of bad photography. The other day I spent over an hour looking through the ‘editor’s picks’ on 500px. I was not impressed. Who are these editors? I must qualify this statement however. I’m not impressed by technically perfect photographs. Images that are primarily produced in a computer are also nothing to write home about – at least not in my letters. Call me old fashioned, but I like photographs that are organically intriguing, that rely on subject matter and composition, not good lighting or fancy Photoshop skills. When I do see good photography it excites me, it inspires me and, the first time I saw Madison’s work, this is exactly what happened. I was excited. I was inspired. I wanted to be Madison.

Madison (who prefers to keep his last name a mystery, kind of like Madonna) is a Dutch photographer who was born and raised in the Netherlands. He studied graphic design at The Academy Of The Arts and Fashion and fine art photography at the Photography Academy.

Madison is currently working on a major project, Claustrum Corporis Vol. I-V. After a successful solo exhibition of the first volume, titled Simulacra, the second volume, Mortui Te Salutant, is currently in production and scheduled for mid to late 2014. That work is not shown here, but it is some seriously good stuff. You owe it to yourself to take the time to search it out and consume it. It is, in a word, pure genius – okay, two words.

When I look at Madison’s photography I think of Madonna. I think this is the guy Madonna would want photographing her, if only she knew he existed. I don’t know why I feel this, exactly, but it likely has something to do with the fact that both Madison and Madonna imbue their art with their keen intellects. They both produce art with a multiplicity of layers – with immense depth. I also think of Helmut Newton, Bruce LaBruce, Anders Petersen, and even David Lachapelle (although you won’t see any color here) when I view this work. I think of these famous photographers for different reasons, but Madison’s work has elements from all of these masters. What a feat!

Source : HuffingtonPost




No comments:

Post a Comment